Product Marketing Manager Life Science (Single Particle Analysis)
The use of Cryo-Electron Microscopy (Cryo-EM) in structural biology is on an exceptionally rapid growth trajectory, as the technique is shifting the boundaries in in protein structure determination. As the global market and technology leader, Thermo Fisher Scientific (formerly FEI) is at the forefront of shifting the boundaries of what is possible, not only in academic research, but also in the pharmaceutical industry especially in new drug discovery.
As the technique is being rapidly being adopted in laboratories worldwide, the Thermo Fisher Life Sciences Business Unit (LSBU) is expanding its team in order to support and accelerate the further growth of this business in the coming years.
Within the LSBU, the Product Marketing Manager (PMM) is responsible for all strategic activities that define and manage a range of valuable capital equipment products in the SPA workflow solution portfolio. The PMM steers development of tactical plans that are executed by the business development and sales support teams. The PMM strengthens and grows Thermo Fisher’s presence on the global market by positioning current products, and drives next generation solutions through regular interaction with customers, sales and R&D.
Responsibilities and deliverables include:
- Product and business development – Assess needs of customers and markets, develop business plans to create solutions that will gain market share. Monitor business performance (incl. bookings, margin, market position), identify issues and drive improvement actions.
- Market Management – Determine which segments of the market to focus on. Develop positioning and supporting material to market complete solutions of targeted products.
- Collect Voice of the Customer (VoC) and Market Trends - Identify, document and communicate to R&D and Sales why customers buy and how they use Thermo Fisher products. Identify, document and communicate market trends to all parts of the organization (including new features needed).
- Strategic Planning – Develop Marketing Strategy for (new) products and implement Marketing Plans, in the context of Thermo Fisher’s Product Management Process (PMP). Track product cost and margins, and define product plans to execute on specific product margin targets.
- Marketing (Launch) Plan Execution – Complete regular reviews of objectives versus plan to deliver quarterly and long term business objectives. Review key metrics to ensure achievement of the marketing plan and on time product launches.
- Innovation/New Product Introduction– Create the value proposition for innovation/new product introductions, based on clearly articulated market requirements, and validate with key customers. Deliver the solutions roadmap. Create material and deliver training for the Sales team. Take responsibility for execution of Innovation/New Product Introduction plan and targets, in close collaboration with the R&D, Sales and Service teams.
- Sales Support – Maintain relationships with key customers and work to develop them into reference customers to help sales in a region or globally. Supporting new product sales promotions in the field with direct customer interaction, commercial and technical presentations and collateral.
- Manage relationships with internal stakeholders, lead cross-functional teams, work closely with R&D and Sales team to ensure that the company develops the appropriate solutions and services delivering exceptional customer value while achieving the financial objectives for the product.
This position is ideal for a candidate who has made a successful transition to business management and introducing (new) solutions to the market. The successful candidate is an experienced professional who thrives in a dynamic team, can drive market development and enjoys being exposed to a constant variety of complex issues that need to be resolved. He/she is a great networker with strong influencing skills.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education, experience and skills:
- University degree in a relevant scientific field and/or University degree in Business Administration
- Typically requires 7-10 years of experience in marketing, product management, applications management or technical sales of high-value scientific capital equipment
- Experience in interacting with highly technical customers and customer groups (primarily in the science and government market segments)
- Proven experience in developing business cases, successful management of objectives and organization of new product launches based on customer needs
- The ability to create a vision of a product, translate it into strategy and value-driven roadmap
- The ability to envision new opportunities and to drive their implementation to achieve continuous business improvement
- Excellent communication ability (both written and verbal) and influencing skills including the ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a variety of audiences is critical to the success in this position
- Successful candidate has a strong drive for results and an ability to work within a diverse, cross-functional team across multiple sites
- Willing and able to travel internationally (up to 30%)